Login New User

Home > Study Costs > Student visa

Student visa

If you are not an Australian citizen, but want to take advantage of our quality education and training system, you may apply for a student visa.

Visas are granted by the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC). DIAC will only grant you a student visa if your course is registered, or is part of a registered course, on a full time basis. A registered course is one offered by an Australian education provider registered with the Australian Government to offer courses to overseas students. Visit the Commonwealth Register of Courses and Institutions for Overseas Students (CRICOS) website for more information.

Only courses under three months’ duration can be undertaken on a visitor visa or working holiday visa. If you intend to study for more than three months, you must apply for a student visa.

Advantages to studying on a student visa include:

  • you will have access to Australia’s subsidised student health cover;
  • you will be allowed to study for longer than three months; and
  • you can apply for permission to work part time.

You can apply for your student visa as soon as you receive a letter of offer or electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for your full time course of study. However, it is recommended that you wait until you are advised by your local Australian Government office to enrol or obtain a CoE. Your local Australian Government office can also give you information on applying and what documents you will need to attach to your application.

You should contact your local Australian Government office overseas to find out:

  • how to make your application; and
  • what your document requirements will be.

Assessment Levels

If you are subject to Assessment Level 1, you can apply online. If you are subject to Assessment Level 3 or 4 you will need a letter of offer when you apply for your visa.

Depending on your country of nationality and your principal course of study you may have to undergo a preliminary assessment before an Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) is issued by your Australian education provider.

  • visa sub-classes for each education sector
    You should apply under the visa sub-class for your principal course of study.
  • assessment levels
    Each education sector in each country is ranked according to five assessment levels.
  • evidentiary standards
    These visa requirements include English language proficiency and are increasingly stringent from assessment level 1 through to assessment level 5.
  • electronic confirmation of enrolment (eCoE)
    The only accepted evidence of enrolment for processing student visa applications.

Generally, you will be issued with a multiple entry visa for the duration of your study course in Australia. This allows you to travel in and out of Australia within the period for which it has been granted. Members of your immediate family (spouse and unmarried dependent children under 18 years of age) may accompany you to Australia and will be considered in the same visa class as yourself. If you wish to extend your stay in Australia for further study you will need to lodge an application for a further visa.

Student visa information on this website is an outline only and subject to change. For more detailed, accurate and up-to-date information on student visas and visa requirements please visit the Department of Immigration and Citizenship website.

Australian quarantine regulations

Australian quarantine keeps out exotic pests and diseases that could affect our native plants and animals, human health, agricultural industries and our environment. Visit the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service website for a list of what you cannot bring into Australia, and what your family and friends at home cannot send to you through the mail.


New Zealand
United Kingdom
US - EST New York
US - CST Chicago
US - MST New Mexico
US - PST Los Angeles